Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Swimming with Stingrays...

First stop: the beautiful island of Grand Cayman where we had an amazing day planned. The sun was shining, the sky was clear and not a cloud in the sky. The first thing I noticed about Grand Cayman is it’s not like most Caribbean islands I’ve been where most of the citizens are poverty stricken. I saw people riding around in Range Rovers, Porsches, BMWs, etc, not to mention $1 Cayman is worth $1.25 US. I guess it’s all that off shore banking..lol jk.


We met our tour guide at the terminal and hopped on a van to Georgetown where we boarded a beautiful, ultra comfortable, spacious 50ft Catamaran. We relaxed and lounged on the deck as we took in our gorgeous surroundings. Here let me show you:



After a 30 minute ride we arrived at Stingray City Sandbar. It’s an amazing site. Imagine being in the middle of an ocean and suddenly you’re in shallow waters. Well that’s exactly what we experienced. The boat was anchored out in the Caribbean Sea and as we climbed down the ladder and off the boat, we had to swim because the water was obviously deep. 6 feet out and 10 seconds later, we were standing up in the middle of the ocean while friendly sting rays encircled us.


Loving my new underwater camera

Kiss a stingray for 7 years good luck

I kissed a girl and liked it ;-)




Afterwards we got back on the boat and headed to Coral Gardens, a coral reef formation with vibrant coral and sponges, tropical fish, eels and even sea turtles, to do a little snorkeling. I tried it for the first time but I wasn’t that good at it. I just couldn’t get my breathing right! I was really disappointed because the little time I spent under, I saw some beautiful colorful fish. While back onboard I did see a sea turtle which was pretty cool.

If you ever visit Grand Cayman, Stingray City is an excursion you can’t afford to miss!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails